We started out with this principle . In 1975 practically 80% of COMPAC products were already manufactured using raw materials originating from waste products from other processes. Today we have almost reached 95% in this respect, and are aiming for 100%.
In 1981 we built our first water recovery and reutilization plant, which was the most innovative and advanced at the time, reusing 50% of all water in our processes at a time when no industrial standard called for this type of water treatment. Today we reuse 95% of all water.
- In 1992 we developed a material for ventilated façades in compliance with all existing product standards and approval processes. Ventilated façades provide significant energy savings in buildings, and we have now reached over 1.5 million square meters (16,145,866 ft²) of façades installed around the world.
- In 1997 we incorporated a revolutionary new block-cutting system that enabled us to achieve a 25% efficiency increase in the use of raw materials.
- In 1998 we managed to improve the block-cutting production process management system to achieve a 40% reduction in power consumption.
- In 1999 we increased our polishing process efficiency by 90%, becoming the Spanish stone manufacturer with the most advanced technology for these processes.
- The year 2003 saw the start of an environmental policy whose objective is to compensate the C02 impact on the environment by the year 2015. In line with this, we have already reforested over 5,000 trees native to Portugal, which is more than a third of our overall objective of 12,000 trees.
- Since 2011 a total of 100% of all electrical power used at the Abrantes plant (Portugal) for manufacturing our technological quartz products comes from renewable power sources. And since the month of March 2011 the products in the “Nature” line are made using high-technology “BIOresins” from renewable vegetable sources. Our aim is to achieve a product that comes from 100% recycled raw materials and is also highly recyclable afterwards.
COMPAC has always shown a high degree of sensitivity in developing products that have minimal adverse effects on the environment. All production processes are continually checked and reviewed, and heavy investment is made in R&D&I in a quest for better eco-friendliness. Today, this environmental commitment translates to 3 major lines of activity:
1) Reduced waste volume. In 2015 the entire CO2 impact generated by the Portugal production plant will be compensated in the reforestation of native trees.
2) Optimum use of natural resources. 100% of energy used at the Portugal factory comes from renewable sources.
3) Recycling. 94% of water used in production processes is recycled. In addition, some of our products contain recycled glass and other products unused in other industries.
Our major aim at COMPAC is to be an eco-efficient company that makes products from 100% recycled raw materials or derived from renewable sources.